First Baptist Church of Williamsville MO
  • 214 S. Main
    PO Box 74
    Williamsville, Missouri  63967
  • View Map

  • Pastor
    Henry Pasquet   •     (573)322-5747
  • Clerk
    Samantha Moore
  • Worship Leader
    Roger Moore
  • Treasurer
    Etta Mae Dougherty
  • Assistant Treasurer
    Roger Moore
  • Trustee
    Terry Dougherty
  • Trustee
    Roger Moore
  • Greeter
    Charles (Bubsy) Goforth
  • Music Leader
    Lori Morey
  • Childrens Church
    Wanda Pasquet
Sunday Morning Worship
11am
Sunday Evening Bible Study/Prayer Meeting
6pm



                       Our Pastor - Henry Pasquet

 

                Sunday's Guest Speaker

           John Pasquet

 

                     No Sunday Evening Service

 

 

HISTORY OF THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF WILLIAMSVILLE

 

History provided by: Myrtle Huett, Hazel Moore, Linda (Moore) Buck, Esther (Faries) Parker, Gene Garrett (All Deceased)

The first church was established in 1867, and was located one mile west of Williamsville, MO on the old TJ Duckett farm.  

The church was built of hewn logs by members of the church, the church was called "Good Hope Church".

When the Iron Mountain Railroad was built from St Louis to Williamsville, the church house was on the right-of-way and had to be moved 300 feet north.  The church remained there until the town began to grow, at that time the bulding was sold to Hiram Jones, the father of John Jones.

The members moved into the town of Williamsville which was named after Mr Asa Williams.

They established their worship services in a two-story school house on the southwest corner of the town cemetery, at that time they changed the name of the church from "Good Hope Church" to "Williamsville Missionart Baptist Church".  The lower portion of the building was used for a school and the upper story was used by the Masonic Lodgge, the building burnt in 1889.

In 1890 a new building was built just back of the site of the old Williams home, which is on the "School House Hill", which is known as the "Julian House".  The church building was built with the best lumber around, which was furnished by Hiram N Holliday.

The church building that now stands was constructed of concrete blocks in 1924, south of the railroad on South Main.  The new building was dedicated September 9, 1925.

In October of 1957 the name of the church was changed from "Williamville Missionary Baptist Church" to "The First Baptist Church of Williamsville".  The church started with 27 active members.  In 1959 two classrooms and restrooms were added.  

On December 1, 1964 the church sponsored a mission in the Taskee community.  The mission became what is known today as the "Cool Spring Baptist Church".

In 1984 the inside of the church was remodeled with new carpet and new pews  The direction of the pews was turned from facing the north to facing the south.

In 1911 Brother Albert Sitton held a revival that lasted six weeks and resulted in 123 profession of faith.  In September of 1949 Brother Gene Sells held a tent revival and Borther Harry Acre baptized 60 converts into the fellowship of the church.

Over the past 144 years the church has seen many people come to know the Lord as their personal savior.

To date, as far as we know, there are only 7 pastors living who has served in The First Baptist Church of Williamsville.

Brother Austin Meador was the first pastor of the church from 1867-1890 and remained for many.  He lived on Lake Creek and rode horseback from his home.  He served the church without pay.

Brother James Carter was pastor of the church from 1890-1893, at that time the church was built on the hill where the Julian House now stands.

Brother Milas Davis was pastor of the church from 1893-1896, the records of the church have been lost for the years from 1896-1907.

Brother Matt Hedspeth was the first clerk of the church.  Brother John Jones was the second church clerk.  Sister Hattie McGhee was elected church clerk in 1907 and remained faithful in her duties until her health force her to resign in 1958.  Sister Harriet Ann Moore was church clerk for many years.  Brother Sam Haynie was a stalwart Christian who stood the storm and was dedicated in keeping the church going.

In 2011 the church installed new lighting in the fellowship hall and in the sanctuary. 

Many of the faithful Christians who labored and kept the church and the work of the Lord going, have gone to be with the Lord.

We would like to thank the Lord for all the faithful Christians that are still serving the Lord in the church today.

The congregation and pastor would like to thank the Lord for all those that have served the Lord all these years.

                    PASTORS OF THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF WILLIAMSVILLE

Austin Meadors 1867-1890

James Carter 1890-1893

Milas Davis 1893-1896

RP Chenault ?

Joel Meador ?

CW Wallis 1907-1909

Brother Glass 1910

JT Collins 1911

WH Hale 1912

WG Stevens 1913

MM Sheets 1914

CW Wallace 1915

MM Sheets 1916

Brother Crocker 1917-1918

Mitchel Wright 1919-1920

MM Sheets 1921

JT Collins 1922-1923

Brother Howard 1923

OH Cruse & James Carter 1924

OS Taylor 1925-1930

Wade Cochran & S Baker 1931-1933

OH Cruse 1934-1936

OS Taylor 1937-1938

PA Abernathy 1939-1940

Claude Johnson 1941-1943

PA Abernathy 1944

Oda Masters 1945-1946

 

Brother Griffith 1947

Sam Hughes 1948

Harry Acre 1949-1950

Victor Knodell 1951-1955

Charles Drennen 1956

Brother Vandiver (supply)

Brother Woods (supply)

Dr Nathan H Pillow 1957-1959

Orla Parker 1960-1963

Gene McNeely 1964-1965

Bruce Holland 1965-1967

Josiah Stevenson ?

Roland Duckett 1967-1969

Albert Woods 1969-1973

CE MIddleton 1973-1976

Doug Clinton 1976-1981

Clyde Painton (interim pastor) 1981

Oscar Coolbaugh 1981-1983

Eddie Martin 1983-1986

Curtis LeGrand 1986-1989

Cecil Hillis 1989-1990

Johnny Clements 1990-1993

Richard Green 1993-1998

Henry Pasquet 1999-2003

James Capps 2004-2012

Nathan Aubuchan 2013-2016

Stan Gray 2016-2020

 

 

CHURCH COVENANT

Having been led, as we believe by the Spirit of God, to receive the Lord Jesus Christ as our Savior and, on the profession of our faith, having been baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, we do now, in the presence od God, and this assembly, most solemnly and joyfully enter into covenant with one another as one body in Christ.

We engage, therefore, by the aid of the Holy Spirit to walk together in Christian love; to strive for the advancement of this church, in knowledge, holiness, and comfort; to promote its prosperity and spirituality; to sustain its worship, ordinances, discipline, and doctrines; to contribute cheerfully and regularly to the support of the ministry, the expenses of the church, the relief of the poor, and the spread of the gospel through all nations.

We also engage to maintain family and secret devotions; to religiously educate our children; to seek the salvation of our kindred and acquaintances; to walk circumspectly in the world; to be just in our dealings, faithful in our engagements, and exemplary in our deportment; to avoid all tattling, backbiting, and excessive anger; to abstain from the sale of, and abuse of, intoxicating drinks as a beverage; to be zealous in our efforts to advance to the kingdom of our Savior.

We further engage to watch over one another in brotherly love; to remember one another in prayer; to aid one another in sickness and distress; to cultivate Christian sympathy in feeling and Christian courtesy in speech; to be slow to take offense, but always ready for reconciliation and mindful of the rules of our Savior to secure it without delay.

We moreover engage that when we remove from this place we will as soon as possible, unite with some other church where we can carry out the spirit of the covenant and the principles of God's word.

 

Contents © 2021 Wayne County Southern Baptist Association • Church Website Builder by mychurchwebsite.netPrivacy Policy